Friday 19 December 2014

Books of the year

Shelfari tells me that I read 26 books this year and that I am behind my pace, because last year I read 52 books. The year before I read 84 books. I am not sure whether this is reliable statistics to show a trend, but I feel that I am reading less and that I am reading slower. There is a correlation. I think I read more books for pleasure this year than in many, many previous years. I read considerably less children's books than usual. I read very little criticism because I am still recuperatring from a four-year research project. Contrary to my habits, I read several very recent books. It seems I didn't re-read any books this year. So this is not a typical year – unless this is how it is going to be in the future.

Anyway:

Best novel: Children Act, by Ian McEwan
Another best novel: The Goldfinch, by Donna Tartt
Best historical novel (with some magical realism): The Miniaturist, by Jessie Burton
Best thriller: The Luminaries, by Eleanor Catton
Best fantasy (if it is fantasy): The Name of the Wind, and sequel, by Patrick Rotfuss
Best humour (of the dark kind): A Man called Ove, by Fredrick Backman
Best children's book: Flora and Ulysses, by Kate DiCamillo
Best historical children's novel: Eleven Eleven, by Paul Dawswell
Best sequel: Hollow City, by Ransom Riggs
Best literary criticism: Entranced by Story, by Hugh Crago
Simply the best: Slow Regard of Silent Things, by Patrick Rotfuss

No comments: