Tuesday 21 June 2011

Green is good for your soul

I first saw a rainforest in Australia in 1993. It was love at first sight, and I was convinced that I would never live to see anything more sublime. The day after I went to the Great Barrier Reef and had to admit that it had its points as well. Finally, I went to the desert, and a good portion of my heart has remained in deserts ever after.

A desert may seem a complete opposite of a rainforest, but it isn't. Life in a desert is more subtle, hidden, disguised, but it's there nevertheless. A desert in bloom is unforgettable.

And yet there is something very special about the rainforest. As with most things, you must take your time. There are amazing details in a symbiosis of plants. There are forms you have never seen before. It is possible that David Attenborough's The Secret Life of Plants has made me more sensitive. I cannot compete with Attenborough, but here are some attempts to share my fascination.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi Maria. I'm a longtime lurker and a big fan of your work. Hope you don't mind me saying, I just gave your blog an award as I love reading it :-) http://didyoueverstoptothink.wordpress.com/2011/06/25/the-irresistibly-sweet-blog-award/