Saturday 21 February 2009

Biking vs walking

I have opened the biking season. I think it is the first time ever I have biked on my own - apart from biking to work. But Staffan has a cold, and I felt I needed to get back in touch with my bike before I started using it daily again. It's a nice sunny day, and rather than walking along the river, I took my two-wheeled friend. Biking has some advantages over walking. The same distance is much shorter when you bike. I went twice as far almost without thinking about it. You feel superior to walkers and especially joggers. (I have never understood the point with jogging; seems an extreme form of masochism.) You feel you have deserved to sit down on a bench and enjoy the sun. I wish I had brought coffee, as I saw other people had done. On the other hand, you see less when you bike. Or at least I do. I am too focused on where I am going. I cannot stop to talk to a chaffinch as I did when I walked last weekend, because I am going too fast to notice a chaffinch. I register swans and ducks with my side sight. I cannot see whether the buds on the trees have become larger. I realize that I have totally missed the snowdrops I saw last week.

Yet both walking and biking feels superior to the gym, where I, after a long break, went last Thursday.

1 comment:

Jakson said...

I enjoy the way you have presented this great information. It makes me wonder why I had not thought of it before about biking vs walking.Two are different exercise.Now i'm glad to know about this and I love this blog because it is user friendly with appreciative information.