Friday 15 August 2008

Being authentic

This evening we went to a local pub. “The Green Dragon” (claiming to be the oldest pub in Cambridge). Staffan had already explored it before I came, so he felt quite at home. I don’t like beer too much, but every now and then I enjoy a glass. I ordered a Guinness because I know it’s safe (there are so many sorts that I get confused). Staffan is braver and takes whatever catches his eye. We had a nice conversation with a gentleman next to us. “Are you on holiday or staying?” “Staying”. “Forever?” “Yes”. “What are you doing?” Staffan explained that he wrote for a newspaper. The man didn’t ask me what I was doing. I was obviously a housewife.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Why didn't you correct him? I would have loved to see the look on his face when you did.